Supporting students through the reading and writing process is crucial. The Read&Write for Google app is designed to support students by offering features like:
- In document dictionary
- Fact Finder "more information" research button
- Text translator
- Collecting highlights
- Collecting vocabulary
When students can actively engage with texts, their ability to make meaning and think critically increases. All students in GUHSD have access to Read&Write for Google, and it can be utilized in all content areas.
Making it Happen in Your Classroom
Read&Write Google requires that students use their GUHSD Google accounts for access. When they open a Google Doc, they will see a drop down tab that looks like this:
- Push out reading or writing assignment through Classroom (or other method).
- Provide instructions for marking up the document.
- Decide what will be collected for feedback/grading.
- Show students how to use the Read&Write features.
- Whole class instruction by projecting sample document.
- Individual instruction by providing access to screencasts.
- Have students open up the document in Classroom.
- Let them go.
- Monitor student progress.
- Review collected final products.